Monday, October 25, 2010

The Life and Death of Matt Kessler

Well, I think that school is starting to get pretty intense. A lot of work to do and not enough time to do it. I'm sure that's not the case, but it sure feels like it. So far so good, I'm just hoping that I can get through unscathed so I can continue on this path. But, here I am, at school, sitting around waiting to finish up my assignment that is due in about two hours. But I'm here, just blogging and killing time because I don't really have anything better to do. I wish I had brought my headphones, that way, at least, I could be listening to music while I do this or surf the interwebs. Whatever though, I only have to do one more thing for the assignment and it should only take about five minutes, so, I'm not in any big rush at the moment.

So, work is finally done, with my last day being about a week and a half ago. I knew it was coming, but it still is a little hard to not work anymore, even if I didn't have anything to do. Picked up my last paycheck last Thursday and filed for unemployment today. Filing is a lot easier the second time around, but, since I'm in school this time, there may be an issue with what the state calls "availability". Sure, part of the deal of unemployment is that you have to seek work and accept work that is offered to you. I can deal with that. What I cannot deal with is that the state seemingly requires me to just drop my classes in order to accept full time work. It doesn't make sense really. Not at all. I mean, the first thing they asked on the form was whether or not my school would interfere with me finding a job. Since I put that school would not interfere, that should be it. But, no. They ask more questions that have no relevance after that first question is asked. How is it that a state can tell someone to drop out of their classes, which they are taking to better themselves, just to take a dead end job that will probably pay me less than unemployment would. It's stupid, and that's coming from someone who champions social programs such as this one. Add that to the fact that my employer essentially pays my unemployment through their insurance. Therefore, the state should just stop bitching and give me what I am entitled to. It's not like I walked off the streets and filed for this type of service. I can prove that I worked, made enough money, and was laid off. What else could they possibly need? It just makes me wonder how this country is going to end up a decade or so down the road.

Been on another TV binge lately. Now I'm very interested in the show Fringe, as it seems to be the only show on television that is smart and has a mythology surrounding it. It is filling my Lost void quite nicely, although it is not as good, it is looking like it could very well get on the same level in the upcoming episodes. Also, Christine was in town for the weekend and we continued our ritual Psych watching. Netflix is a wonderful thing, and watching season 4 for free is a lot better than paying fifty dollars for it. But I'm torn though, I have the first three seasons on DVD, it seems like I should get the fourth to make the collection look complete. Who knows, maybe Amazon will have another good sale come Christmas time. We'll see what happens.

Other than that, I just kind of want all of this to be over with. Sure I like school, but it is just getting to the point (already) like it's just an obstacle rather than a stepping stone. Maybe it's because of all the work I have to do in all this time. I don't know though. I know it will get better, but, for right now, I just want it to stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment